09 July 2014 - I have started the the 1/48 Eduard Fokker EV "Weekend Edition" kit. This promises to be a quick and simple build which will allow me to try my hand at some new lozenge decals as well as try to replicate the "Fokker Streaking" on the wing. Plus it should be a relatively quick and relaxing build before I launch into my next serious project.
I have deviated from normal practice and started with the wing. The Eduard instructions show a solid dark green wing on both upper and lower surfaces, with an "alternate" colouring of 'streaked' green. The current favoured 'theory' of the painting of these wings is that they were painted using Fokker's 'streaking' technique in two colours (brown and green) on the upper sides and two colours (light blue and a light violet) on the undersides. Some of the colour theories indicate some very bright colours, but I wanted to keep mine relatively subdued and the streaking fairly subtle. Here is my attempt at the upper surface of the wing.
11 July 14
I have had a crack at the wing underside colours as well. Trickier than I thought, but this will have to do. I have also completed the cockpit. Seat belts were added from Tamiya tape. The lozenge is from Aviattic, which is translucent. It dries with a degree of 'flex' left in it, and when dry it feels a little rubbery. I found it hard to trim as a result. I also mustn't have surface prep'd properly as I found that I had some troubles with it staying stuck once dry. Some Future under the decal sorted out this problem. I have also painted up the engine using Alclads (which I am now in love with). The fuselage is together and currently drying. Given the translucent nature of the Aviattic lozenge I think I will play with some pre-shading effects when it comes to applying the decals to the fuselage.
12 July 14
Today I finished the fuselage clean up and had a play with the lozenge. Given that the Aviattic lozenge is transluscent, I had a bit of a play with some pre-shading. Some experiments on scraps showed that a black pre-shade under the decal was way too stark, so the trick was going to be to keep the pre-shading subtle. Also, undercoat colour with these decals plays a big part. As I wanted more of a 'brown' lozenge to go with my 'brown' wing, I went with a 'brown" based undercoat of Gunze "sail colour" and pre-shaded with this colour plus a little bit of black mixed in. I then applied the decals straight over the top. These are the "faded" versions, so they essentially come pre-faded and textured. Here's the result - instant weathering without the fear of tearing or wrecking decals..!
I think that if I had another go I would lighten the base coat further as the overall effect is quite dark, but that said I was quite happy with the way the pre-shading showed through. I am getting used to the way that these decals react under decal softener, but they are quite forgiving decals due to their "stretch". They don't stay colourfast under harsh thinners though, so a word of warning to clear coat them before doing any further weathering (don't ask me how I found this out.... ). I did also think about rib tapes, but layering these decals doesn't really work too well as you get large variances in colour density (as noted in the instructions). I think the pre-shading gives the right effect anyways.
Now to let them dry while I work on some other components.
14 July 14
This one is now finished - it took me around 8 days all said and done. Pics are now up in the "Model" gallery.